Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More recognition for Canadian Cavalry Brigade

The perfect storm of items re the Canadian Cavalry Brigade, a legendary Great War formation, continues. The latest is on Page D7 of the December 6th, 2011, Vancouver Sun. Writer Randy Boswell traces the connection between "War Horse", the Spielberg blockbuster set for release this month, and the battle fought on March 30th, 1918, at Moreuil, France. There, as Boswell says, "The Canadian charge...helped thwart the Germans'spring offensive, the collapse of which is widely viewed as the beginning of the end of the war."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Pelham Flowerdew, and Gordon Flowerdew, the man who led that charge, was my great-great-uncle. I can't wait to see this movie.

Robert W Mackay said...

Hi Pelham. Very nice to hear from another Flowerdew. My father, whose story is told in "Soldier of the Horse", of course knew Gordon very well, as well as his brother Eric. I know Barney Flowerdew in Cloverdale. Thanks for the comment, and I hope you enjoy "War Horse".

Post a Comment