Monday, July 25, 2011

Booksigning Loads of Fun

The big day, July 23rd, dawned bright and clear. Kerrisdale Village hummed with activity, but even so I was able to grab a parking spot only two blocks from Hager Books. Proprietor Andrea Davies and her dellightful staff arranged a heap of "Soldiers" near the front door, and I propped up my laptop to show a few images of  WW I's Canadian Cavalry Brigade.
The very first customer to buy a copy of "Soldier of the Horse" was Ian Slater. By an amazing coincidence, I had met Ian years ago when I took a one-day Saturday writing course from him at Langara College. Ian is a writer of thrillers, at least two of which I have read.
Hager Books has an obvious following of book-lovers; it was a real pleasure to meet and chat with some of their regulars. One was a high school student who had just last year studied the First World War in grade 11; and another was a teacher who has led classes on battlefield tours in Europe.
In short--great fun, at a great book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment